Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sweet Spots!

I found this idea on the WWW a few years ago (sorry can't remember where?!) I keep chapsticks, or "sweet spots" in a basket on my small group table. Also, at the beginning of the year, I will carry 1 or 2 in my pocket. I use these to reinforce positive behavior...walking quietly in the hall, following directions the first time, being a helpful student, really could use for whatever you would like. The students just put the chapstick on the top of their hand. The sweet spot stays with them for a bit..especially if they don't wash their hands (ewwww!) They absolutely love it! I definitely go over with them that these are ONLY for their hands and we never put sweet spots on their lips! I am in the process of making myself a very cute basket for them! I will post a picture when I am done. I am telling you, sweet spots work miracles! As soon as I give a student one, then everyone else is doing exactly what I want them to. Oh, I do have one important rule...we do not "ask" for sweet spots!



8 comments:

  1. What a delightfully clever idea. I love it! I definitely will be adding these to my back-to-school shopping list. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Mireya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call them "smellies" instead of the word "smilies." My kids LOVE them. It's so much better than a sticker..right! And the chapsticks last a little longer than a pad of stickers..so woo hoo on saving money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call them super scent :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really love this idea. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to use this with my new kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have used chap stick for years in the same way! We call it "Smelly stamps" The kids do love it!

    Sarah
    Fantastic First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I have seen this idea and I wonder how the parents react to this. Any negative feedback?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I have NEVER had any negative feedback from parents. Actually, I have had some parents tell me that they started using it at home :-)

    ReplyDelete