Thursday, July 5, 2012

Teaching Smart

Smart Teaching

Smart Teaching
I am here to share the best things I have learned or do in my classroom. Today I am going to share how I introduce the alphabet to my Kinders.

"Letter Land Alphabet Pack!" I use this for the first 52 days of school. OK, well maybe not the first 52 days, but I start the second week of school.

The first round of the Letter Land Party! I introduce a new letter/sound each day. I have all of the kids' names written on a sentence strip. I always try to put the girls and boys on a different color. I place all of the names in a pocket chart. We then go through the names. Anyone that has the letter in their name, then they go to the top of the pocket chart. If they do not, then they go at the bottom. IF their name begins with that letter, then they are the King/Queen of the day.
 If they have the letter of the day in their name, then they take their name tag back to their desk and either trace it, circle it, or put a sticker under the letter. We then place it back in the pocket chart.
The first round of our letter party is simply an introduction to the letters and the sounds. After we put the names back in the pocket chart, then we complete a page in our Alphabet Book.



Here is a FREEBIE from this unit. The ABC chart. Click on the picture to get your copy!!


We refer back to these posters and ABC chart all year long. We start each morning meeting by going through the alphabet. We say the letter name and then say the sound (with the action that we made up to go along with the poster.)This is so helpful for the kiddos that need something visual to remember the letter name and sound. In the great movie, "The Wizard Of Oz," The great Oz gives the Scarecrow....who needs a brain if you aren't familiar with TWOO....an honorary degree of ThD. A ThD? A degree in thinkology! I think we all deserve honorary ThD's. We come up with amazing ways to teach our kiddos. I hope that you will link up and share how you teach smart! :-) Make sure you grab the scarecrow button and code (at the top of this post)

10 comments:

  1. Tammy this is so adorable and creative!! Thank you for the freebie. So cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fun using their names too when teaching the abc's! Love your visuals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I can't wait to do this when school starts!! Great post. :)
    <>< Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tammy, my name is Amber Huber and I am giving you the One Lovely Blog Award. Please visit my blog to receive your award. Congrats!

    Amber @www.sweetkinders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw...I am your newest follower!

    Amber :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for hosting this linky Tammy! I am enjoying ways to learn how to work smarter and not harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog at the TBA linky & want to give you some awards. Visit my blog: kindergartendoodles.blogspot.com to claim them.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the alaphabet freebie! I just love it. I love the fact you used a fox for the letter x. This is the sound we teach and so many of the charts around use a picture where the x has the z sound or says its name! This is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you use their names to connect their knowledge. :D
    I'm linking up how I organize/plan my week. Thanks for hosting this party!
    ❤Dragonflies in First ❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your blog and linky party. I'm your newest follower. Hope you can visit my blog sometime: Kindergarten & Preschool for Parents & Children and see what books I have written to help teachers and parents. Thanks for the fun here.

    ReplyDelete