Sunday, October 21, 2012

The clouds parted....

And the Daily 5 light shone down on me! Ok...ok....ok....a bit over the top...I KNOW! Buuuuut, I have a confession to make. As most know, I worked with some great bloggers this Summer and hosted a D5 book study. I was so excited about it. Well, then school started and I was never completely ready...I swear I feel that way EVERY stinkin' year. It doesn't matter how soon I go back. Staff development meetings, setting up my room, trying to organize, get ready for open house...it was too much. I panicked! I couldn't handle the thought of trying to start D5. I chickened out. I went with my old reliable LWS. I had stuff ready. It was comfortable. I knew what to do. I was in control! Well, a few weeks in and it just wasn't going the way I wanted. I was back to trying to find things to do for each station. I was talking to a team member. I told her that I never gave D5 a chance! So, I spent my weekend getting ready to launch D5. I read the chapter AGAIN. I still felt a little "out of control," but realized that it was OK! I went by the book...we started "Read To Self." Long story short....my kids were asking me, "when do we get practice our stamina?!" I tell ya...it was amazing! UH-MAY=ZING!! We were up to 10 minutes in a matter of just a few days....and if you knew my class, then you would be saying HOLY SCHNIKEY! Stilll...I knew it was good, but a tad bit skeptical. We launched "Read To Someone"...ummm same results! (cue the angels singing) I am happy to report that we have 3 D5 components up and running! Woo Hoo! I promise you this...next year that I will definitely be starting right away. I will come back later this week to show you how I organize everything. It is going so well!! I am reposting a few D5 FREEBIES for you!!

Here is a FREE starter set!!
 

I love the book Goldilocks! I used it to introduce all of my comprehensions skills this year. I created these posters to go along with I PICK good fit books. You can download this from a previous post. Simply click on the picture below. 
 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy- I met the authors of Daily 5 a few years ago and the one teaching kindergarten confessed that given her low and difficult behavior group of children- her class was doing daily 3- Read to self, listen to reading, and word work. I must tell you how freeeing this was- that it was OK to use parts. Of course she could not trust her group to read to a partner if their hands could not be kept to self. I think she did the writing in small group- not independently.

    Thanks for the great resources
    Karen.Strawser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I love D5 and can't imagine teaching any other way. My favorite part (other than looking around and seeing them all working away) is the sharing circle. I get to see what they worked on and I think it if very motivating. Also a good chance to reinforce. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to hear that you are liking Daily 5 in Kindergarten. I've used it in 1st Grade for the past couple years, but I'm going to be starting at a new school in Kindergarten in January! Daily 5 at that level is making me a little nervous, but you're giving me a little more confidence.

    Alicia @ Today's Objective

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad it is going well for you!!! I am really wanting to Daily 5 but not sure how to use Daily 5 and my required Language arts program..any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, I do the daily 3 right now too! What a great comment to read. Love your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tammy, I like your post about Read to Someone...If you love Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I love Beauty and the Beast the most...Character is much more important than looks....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phantom Weblink Cloaker is the latest product from Soren Jordansen, Cindy Battye and Bob Merrick, the same team that were responsible for the best advertising ClickBank Buccaneer promotion system a few several weeks ago.

    phantom link cloaker review

    ReplyDelete