Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sight Word Stations

Hi all Live Love Laugh K readers.
I am Mary from Sharing Kindergarten.
http://www.sharingkindergarten.com/2014/02/sight-word-stations-in-action.html
Tammy and I are pretty good friends and am beyond blessed to be able to guest blog for her today. 
We text often and chat pretty much everyday behind the scenes...
and I asked her for a chance to showcase something amazing
my little loves {aka school kids} have been doing since January.

I love creating meaningful activities to get my kids
thinking, 
building, 
learning.
We are rocking Daily 5, engaging math activities, amazing hands on centers...
but I wasn't doing a good job of letting my little wonderfuls work with sight words.
I knew I need to give my kids time to interact with, build, manipulate sight words

Let me introduce you all to something I am so excited to share... 
They are 6-10 stations set in in my classroom for my students to work with sight words 
for 10 minutes a day.
We have 6 words we work with each week and they pick their activity and go.

I starting giving my little amazing about 10 minutes a day to go to sight word stations 
to do all those wonderful things I wanted them to be DOING with their sight words. 
It was amazing... they were in love
They BEGGED me for more time, 
they tried to NEGOTIATE to get in an extra rotation, 
and they were ENGROSSED in their activities.
And YES... they learned their words!
Better yet, there able to do more than read their words...
They could build them, use them, and write them. 

Sadly... the prep time was killing me. 
They loved it, but I was struggling to build and create amazing activities for these stations. 

Luckily I had several snow days at home without my girls.
My computer and I had a meeting and this is what occurred...
I made 14 activities for each word list for 8 weeks.
Seriously... all my work and worries was over.
I had so many activities to choose from, I was able to pull activities to Morning Work, Daily 5, Center time, and so much more.

This past week I put my new pack to work. 
I printed the colored sheets at home and marked the pages I needed black and white copies for.
Then I set out my table baskets.
I knew I was going to have a few sensory tables so I had those materials in the baskets already from the previous week. {They are in the yellow and green baskets.}
Those table were easy to reset for the week. 
I double checked the pens and writing materials and added the sight word tents to the basket. 
These tents tell the students what sight words to write at that station.
{Independence is the key... this tent allows them to get busy asap and use these words easily.
They shouldn't be looking around the room and getting distracted.}


 I look my Build a Word Station sheets and put them in a cover to protect them. 
They went into the red basket with some dry erase markers 
so my little wonderfuls could build these words. 
{I add beads or letter tiles or other manipulative to this station as well, 
but this week we did dry erase markers.}
For purple table, I grabbed the printable for water color rainbow words, 
added some watercolors to the basket, and placed small plastic cups by the sink.
Blue table took an extra minute because I had to grab a Sharpie 
and write the sight words on small foam counters. 
{I found these larger circles at the Dollar Store so I grabbed a ton of them!}
Once I wrote the words on the counters, 
I place them in snack size baggies and put the sheet and counters in a basket.
All 6 of my stations were prepped and stacked for stations
in less than 10 minutes, 
including coping time!
I also have a few stations set up in the classroom using magnetic surfaces and pocket charts.
I put up the magnetic word station sheet on a filing cabinet...
  Some sentences went up on the pocket chart...
 and then I had to make a last minute change to one of my stable stations... 
because we all know we LOVE to do this...
I pulled out the word puzzles from the pack and replaced them at the green table.

The best news is...
ALL of these materials fit in a file folder to store fairly flat for later on.
And one you do the minimal prep of putting pages in protectors or writing words on the foam circles, these stations will be easier to set up next time around.
{Meaning, LESS than 10 minutes? What???}

Head on over to my blog
http://www.sharingkindergarten.com/2014/02/sight-word-stations-in-action.html
{here}
to see my kids using these stations see how you can grab a free and
enter to win a Sight Word Station pack yourself.




HI! This is Tammy! I love this packet! You will too! It is a perfect addition to your word work stations. Mary has agreed to give one away!! Woo Hoo! :-) 
a Rafflecopter giveaway

123 comments:

  1. WOW!.. Love your set up.. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! I am excited to possibly win them to use with my kiddos! would certainly help with planning for the rest of the school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids need so much help with their words. This would be so great for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful! I am always looking for a new way to incorporate sight words into our day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how simple the prep is! These look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ideas! We need our kindergarteners reading all sight words when they leave, so I am looking for engaging ideas, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how organized these stations are!! Great ideas!
    Elyse @ A is for Apples

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good ideas. Always looking for ways to make sight word work more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love love love this! I could use ALL of this! I have all the things for each!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a ton of super fun ways to use sight words! Love it when learning is engaging and fun! Your products are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for something for my kiddos to do as waiting work at their tables in the morning and these are the perfect solution!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teachers always appreciate not having to recreate the wheel! These are some fantastic center activities!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how independent the kids are with these! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look awesome! Would LOVE to win them!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea of doing a little bit every day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow the students would love how they can have fun and learn the sight words too.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the kids can do these week after week with new words.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look amazing!!! As an alternate curriculum teacher I'm always looking for quick and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is wonderful! I love the minimal prep required!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would be fabulous during Daily 5. Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is wonderful! I love the minimal prep required!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def the best part. It was taking me 30-40 minutes a week! I just can't do that!

      Delete
  23. Amazing stations! I love everyone of them! You did a wonderful job on these activities!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I Love how easy these are to setup!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My littles need the hands on, so this would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all of your ideas!! It would be wonderful to have these great stations for my kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this idea. My kids could benefit so much from this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for sharing and for the tips...I too struggle with the prep time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow!!! What wonderful ideas. I am always looking for new ways to work on sight words. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the easy prep but such meaningful work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look fantastic! I am always looking for a way to make activities interactive and you have done that! I know my kiddos would love this and you will have made my life sooooo much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  32. love everything about this post!! WONDERFUL!!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  33. We are working hard on sight words every day. These activities would add a lot of practice!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really need this in my classroom! It looks like fun and my little friends would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how little time it will take to prep everything and once the kids understand the pattern they will be able to work independently week after week! Marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the little foam circles! Easy idea and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love these activities. Grateful for the prep work time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love them because you have a great selection, it's planned out for each week, and the centers are engaging to the kids. They'll enjoy the centers and (hopefully) stay on task ;) Thanks for the chance!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the variety of stations that are being used! Love the sight word puzzles!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  40. Quick, easy and right on point!
    And... I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This would be great for my reading group.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow! These look fantastic. I can use them with my children who have autism and developmental disabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm loving your sight-word station activities! Learning should be fun, and I am sure your students have a great time with these fun activities!
    Jacqueline
    I is for Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love this idea! Sight words are such a push for Kindergarteners and this is a fun, engaging way to help them learn them.

    ReplyDelete
  45. AMAZING!!!! I'm in love with all that you do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I would love to add these to my stations!

    ReplyDelete
  47. My first graders sure need more work with sight words. I've been trying to revamp my spelling program to get them the practice they need. I know how important it is to give them hands-on, meaningful practice... this resource looks PERFECT. laura.scheunemann@wrps.net

    ReplyDelete
  48. I saw these on Teachers Pay Teachers but wasn't sure about them, but after reading this blog I love them!!! Would be an awesome addition to my class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And honestly, this is just part of each pack! 14 stations is sooo much to choose from. It is amazing to prep. I can't wait until next year when they are prepped and ready. I bet I can change them out in 5 minutes then!

      Delete
  49. These look great, I have some low firsties that could really use this practice!

    ReplyDelete
  50. These are great ideas! Thanks!

    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  51. These look great! This would be so helpful for my kinders! Love the easy prep! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This would help my Kinders so much!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love the flow of the stations. I have used similar ones, but some of your options would give my centers more variety

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love all the different activities for them to use and manipulate the sight words, it makes them fun and that is so important for them to be engaged and not even know they are learning! :)

    I also love how cute and easy they are to use and set up!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Love this! My students need lots of help learning their sight words. These stations should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Love this! My students need lots of help learning their sight words. These stations should do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  57. This looks so awesome! Our team was just commenting how we need to ramp up the sight word work. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  58. These look great and EASY to prep! Double bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  59. What great ideas! Love all of the reinforcement!

    ReplyDelete
  60. This looks wonderful. My high, medium and low readers can do this. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I like how the centers are so easy to set up and once you have everything set, you are good to go every week.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I love how easy they are to set up!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  63. I love the variety of hands on activities! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  64. The kids will love these activities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. These activities look FABULOUS!

    Thank you for sharing,
    Julie
    Kindergarten To The Core

    ReplyDelete
  66. Love it. Been looking for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I love how many activities there are!! :)

    Breanne
    breannesimons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  68. I love the different activities that I don't have to do much prep for and easy storage. :) janabreitmeier@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  69. I love how each station is fun and engaging. I could see my students getting a kick out of these.
    Joyfully,
    Sam C.
    rigbys2014@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. So cute! My kiddos love working on sight words and would love these activities.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Too sweet for words! The kids will love this.

    carolt1954@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  72. These look awesome! pierceck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  73. I work with some of the lower-performing kinders and sight words are extremely tricky for them. They already have workstations they go into, and I have been looking for new ideas for them. Thanks for sharing!
    sownby@bcpschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  74. These look fun! cmpetrick@dcsdk12.org

    ReplyDelete
  75. These are great for hands on activities for my kindergarten students.

    ReplyDelete
  76. My kinders would love these sight word stations! I am always looking for ideas to keep my stations fresh and these would be a great additions to my stations

    ReplyDelete
  77. These look amazing! My kinders love them!

    ReplyDelete
  78. These look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  79. These look like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  80. I love the variety of activities!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  81. Looking forward to giving these a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  82. This looks great! I'd love to win the set!

    ReplyDelete
  83. I love that this doesn't take a lot of prep and I too find I need to focus more on sight words. Now I am going to read your other posts for ideas for D5, I haven't been able to get it going right this year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  84. I love how quickly these can be set up -the baskets are a great way to store the activities.
    Linda
    KinderDoodles

    ReplyDelete
  85. These are great ideas to help kids learn the sight words! And I love that they are so easy to set up and make! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  86. These are all terrific ideas to help kids learn their sight words! Being a speced techer, I bet they would really help my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  87. This set looks amazing-quick set-up and a great variety of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  88. My kiddos struggle with sight words. This resource looks like it would help in my independent centers!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Oh my I love thee easy to prep centers. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  90. Love it! I am starting a long term sub job in Kindergarten next month and these would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  91. This is great! I teach first grade intervention, and my students would not only learn a lot using these activities, but they'd really enjoy them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  92. These are absolutely wonderful. Thank for all the time it takes to put these together.

    ReplyDelete
  93. I love the magnet area and writing the sight words area. I Love love love the watercolors..what a great new fun idea!! Hope I win!!! Thanks for always sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  94. This looks AWESOME! Great ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  95. This is wonderful! I will be teaching Kindegarten next year and it would make a great addition to my resources.

    ReplyDelete
  96. I love that it is all creative and different!

    ReplyDelete
  97. I love how engaging and fun these are for students AND little prep for teacher. I truly want to provide active, hand-on learning, but not at the expense of my young family! Thank you so much for sharing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  98. Looks like a great, easy prep resources to aid in our sight word work. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  99. I love how quick and easy these look to set up and I know my kinders would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  100. These would really help my ELL students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  101. Online Jobs of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plans, Investment Plans, Genuine earnings from home.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete