Monday, July 28, 2014

Parent Communication {Facebook}

I don't know about you, but I loooove the convenience of technology! As teachers, we have so many options to keep the lines of communication open with our parents. When we communicate consistently and effectively...we build strong relationships with our families. Parents know what is going on, what is being taught, and what is expected of their children AND from them.

Let's talk Facebook! Facebook is growing each year. Chances are the majority of your parents already have a Facebook account. Let's take advantage of that!

First decide whether you want to set up a group or a page. I personally have a group set up. I will gear most of this post towards that option, but please know that you need to choose the option that best suits you. 









I have created a couple of FREEBIES to help you get this set up! Here are two printables that you can use. Simply click the images below to download your freebies.

FREE parent communication FB printables

FREE parent communication Facebook printalbes

Now, decide what you will use Facebook for. Facebook is NOT the only thing that I use. I want to make sure that all parents are getting information. I love it because this way is easy to share photos easily.






Here is some information on creating a FB Page. These are OK too, but if you are concerned about privacy, then a group might be your best option.

 I have a new pack to help get you through the year! You will be able to remind parents via Facebook and Instagram of upcoming events. Some events included are: conferences, class parties, spirit days, tests, library days, and more! To see a full description of what' included click on the cover page below.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Parent-Communication-Tomorrows-Reminders-Facebook-and-Instagram-1352866

20 comments:

  1. Do you make a new group each year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, last year was my first year to set up a group. I still haven't decided if I will create a new group or just remove last years parents from the group that I have. The only reason I would create a whole new group....so I could keep in touch with those families! For example, this summer people were sharing vacation photos, kids were writing me messages and sending pictures of their first list tooth! I hate to give that up! :-) not that they would continue to keep posting, but they would have that option if I kept it open.

      Delete
  2. I'm assuming you got permission from your administration, right, and did they give it right away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have permission. In fact my district encourages it. They provided training and I am required to include my principal and our technology person in my group. The group is set to closed/secret. They do require that. It's completely safe and private.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Tammy, this is good to know.

      Linda

      Delete
  3. This is such a fabulous idea!! I can't wait to approach my administration with it and see what they think. We already have a class website, but having a FB page might encourage more families to visit it. Thank you so very much for sharing such great freebies and such a wonderful idea!!

    Warmest Wishes, Erin from Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I would suggest a closed group before a page. This way when you do approach your admin...you can let them know that it is private.

      Delete
  4. I just made one for my class this year!! Can't wait!! Thanks for the GREAT idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a form for parents to sign giving permission to use their child's name, pictures, etc... On group site?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be my 3rd year making a Class FB Group. I have always done "private" but tried "secret" and my parents weren't able to request membership. Is there a way I can do a "secret" group and still give them access to request membership? Does a "private" group still give us privacy so not just anyone can see our pictures? (I still respect the "do not publish photos" request some parents make)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A couple of questions: If I choose "Secret" now but later decide to change to "Closed," can I? Also, did you just use your teacher name? For example, for me: Mrs. Yazzie's Second Grade Class. Or, Mrs. Yazzie's Class? (I don't have a blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I have been wanting to start a blog, but it was too much for me :) I know FB, so this seems manageable! Did you have any problems with parents posting negative comments or parents arguing with each other? I'm a little worried about this! Is there a way to approve comments before they are posted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, I did not have any problems...not to say that can't happen :-) You do have the option to set it that all comments have to be approved by you first!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the great idea! I have a class web page, but this would be so much easier! I hope my principal gives the OK to do this.

    Lori
    The Reinspired Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the thorough presentation! You've helped answer so many questions! I just love your website - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely right I like your all discussion. SAT is important test for all students and colleges boards
    free sat prep Also offers tests but you must give this test with full preparation. And SAT is very helpful for vocabulary building. Which SAT guide is best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh thank you so much for doing this post! Your step by step instructions were perfect! You must be a teacher:) Thanks to you my group page is up and running and parents have already joined! YOU ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you create the page under your personal account, or did you create an account with your school email?

    ReplyDelete