Saturday, August 9, 2014

School Supplies {community or individual}

My first week back is over. I got my room "Open House" ready. There is still so much more that I want to do. I am making my list and will do what I can...when I can! Word of advice...you come to my room...do NOT open the cabinets. You open at your own risk! I am not saying for sure, but it is POSSIBLE that a FEW things might come tumbling out (hanging head in shame). I had every good intention with those dang piles, but it just got to close to Open House...let the shoving begin people!

This post I want to talk about supplies. I have tried community supplies and where they keep their own. I will be honest...not completely happy with either. I felt like the kids that were responsible with their things were getting the short end of the stick by having to share with the kid that constantly chewed on everything, forgot to put the lids back on the markers, or simply used half a glue stick on one worksheet! This year I have come up with a combination of both!!  Crossing my fingers!

Our supply list! We ask for a lot! YIKES! Here is the low down on our requests...small tool box, 4 boxes of Crayola 24 crayons (one a quarter), 12 glue sticks (we usually run out), 3 boxes of Crayola markers (1 for community supplies/stations and 2 for students), 2 bottles of Elmer's liquid glue (1 a semester), pencils, 2 erasers, scissors, 1 crayola watercolor set and dry erase markers. They bring all of these supplies at Open House. I have a sheet that explains what they need to do with everything. This is usually what it looks like when I leave that night....

Inside their toolbox (which they keep at their table spot) goes 1 box of crayons, 1 glue stick, 2 pencils, 1 eraser, and their scissors.

I spend the next morning organizing the supplies. I use the Sterilite 3 drawer organizers to store all of their extra supplies. The rest of their supplies go in these drawers. I have them labeled by number. This way I don't have to change them each year.
Now, for the community supplies at their tables. I use the colorful containers from Really Good Stuff. Each table has a color. There is one caddy and two smaller baskets. In the caddy, I put 2 pencils, 2 glue sticks, 1 box of markers, and 1 bottle of glue from each student that sits at that table. The glue and the markers are only used for special projects. The pencils and the glue sticks are there for those students that seem to "eat" their supplies. Please tell me that you have those students. You give them something and two days later...it's gone! I mean...it's just GONE. Where did it go? I don't see it in the room ANYWHERE! They ate it, right?! (wink wink) I will also put their lunch choice sticks in these baskets (not done yet lol)

You can get my supply drawer labels in my TpT store.
student numbered supply drawer labels


1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted this today!! I've been struggling with how to handle school supplies with my kinders this year, and I LOVE your idea about storing extra supplies!! Our school has small lockers in each classroom, so my kinders could keep their extra supplies in there...I just haven't decided yet!! I am right in the same boat with you...I call my classroom storage closet 'The Black Hole' because it's so dangerous to go in there...you might never come out again!! Every year I have such great organizational goals...maybe this year!! I hope that you have a great school year, I'm headed back the week after next!! :-)

    Warmest Wishes, Erin from Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete